UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Delran 39, Cinnaminson 34

And then there were four.

Gami, Catholic, Spirit and Boro are the last four undefeated teams standing in SJ right now, and all of them face decent tests this weekend at the Cougar Classic. Cinnaminson put up a good fight earlier this evening, but much like Haddonfield on Tuesday, it just wasn't their night. Teams that rely on shooting are especially susceptible to the bad night, whereas balanced teams, and squads built on defense and rebounding, can usually fend off the cold streaks a little better.

I was impressed with both teams tonight, espcially on the defensive side of the ball. Cinnaminson PG Colleen Gannon reminded me of her older sister Cait, especially with the quickness of her hands. Ally Rodolico had a great game for the Bears, doing a little bit of everything. I know she's their best player, or pretty close to it, but it seemed like it could be anybody on either team on any night. I love watching those kinds of teams play, because they play without fear. When a team has a star or two, the pecking order tends to be very rigid, and the role players seem like they're afraid to take big shots. Every member of the two squads I saw tonight will probably have the ball for a big moment this season. Tonight it was Rodolico and Caitlyn Simmons for Delran. Tomorrow it'll be somebody else.

I talked with Holy Cross coach Fred Phillips before the game, and I'd like to thank him for shedding light on the situation after the game I saw against Eustace. Suffice it to say, HC has some of the same issues that plague every HS basketball program in existence. I look forward to seeing the Lancers play again soon, and wish them the best of luck against the aforementioned Bears on Tuesday.

Saturday is my day to toil away in the office, mostly typing in wrestling results, so I won't be out there covering any of the many terrific games. I'm a little sad about that, but I can't be everywhere. I'll be at the Cougar Classic on Sunday, covering Wilson-Spirit, and I'll probably come early to watch another game or two.

See you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home