UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, January 06, 2006

CC 73, Wilson 70

I've got to keep this monumentally short because it's like 2 a.m. and I still have stuff to do before I can go to sleep. But I needed to make sure to say that this afternoon's game was the best I've seen so far this season.

Some revelations:

Shinaa Cross is a hell of a player. She really came into her own today and hit some heavy shots down the stretch. Against one of the top backcourts in the state, she more than held her own. Dyer attributed much of the difference to making Cross the point and moving Baker to the 2. That puts the ball in Cross' hands pretty much every possession. Good move today. I can't wait to see more from her.

The third quarter was a thing of beauty, which is really something in the world of girls' basketball. I counted a total of 22 points in one 2:23 stretch in which I also counted two, maybe three very quick empty possessions.

Rashidat is a little quicker than the last time I saw her play, her sophomore year. She actually put the ball on the floor a couple times today, to break the Wilson pressure. I'm not saying it was an unmitigated success, but she had a nice game. I recorded seven blocks in my notes, but the possibility remains that there were more.

Jasmine Crew has certainly figured out the PG position. When I saw her at Spirit last year, she was obviously playing alongside Jordan Sykes, and therefore was more in the SG role. I don't know if she took a single three today, choosing to penetrate and either take a 12-footer or dish to somebody wide open. It was a masterful performance, but it also made me wonder whether there will every come a game when she and Matera both catch fire at the same time. Looking back at the box scores, I don't think it's happened yet. Matera is too good a player to be boxed up in the shooter's role, but with Crew taking such good care of the point, it would be easy for her to just sit down on the wing and wait for jumpers to come her way. The stretched where CC got in trouble today were the ones where they stood around and didn't play aggressively. Against Gami, both of those guards are going to have to make the Braves pay because Junaid isn't going to have whole lot of room in the lane.

That's all I have time for right now. I'll try to get some more in later. I know I've written that like five straight times and it's never happened, but this has been -- and continues to be -- a berzerk week.

But it's almost over. And then I can sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home