UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gloucester beats Wildwood

I was at this game not to cover it -- which was good because bumper-to-bumper traffic on Route 130 got me there with a minute left in the first half -- but to work on a feature for later in the week. Nevertheless, it was one of the better games that I've seen this season. This must, MUST have been Gloucester's best game of the season. The Lions were down by 10 when I got there and went on like a 30-12 run fueled by pressure defense and great shooting. Chelsea Connor blocked like five shots, DJ Havers had an unstoppable three minutes and the role players all hit big shots.

But I was really taken with number 10, the Gloucester point guard. I don't know what her name is, but I'll figure it out soon. The word's tenacity, I think, or maybe it's intensity or temerity, but she had it. I only saw her shoot once or twice from the field and it wasn't particularly pretty, but I started out at Temple covering a sterling silver game manager who couldn't shoot all that well named Pepe Sanchez, and I'm partial to that type of player. In girls' basketball, especially in close games, those sorts of guards are worth their weight in gold. Plus she looked real tough.

The Trico Classic continues to get crazier and crazier. I think everybody's got a division loss now that Wildwood and Glassboro have lost (the Bulldogs went down to Pitman). So, before the season, I figured Glassboro, Salem, Wildwood and Gloucester would slug it out, but now Penns Grove and Pitman have both upset that order, and there was a close shave back there with Clayton too.

Actually the Classic isn't the only crazy division. Cherokee handed Pennsauken its first loss tonight, and Eastern laid the smack down on Lenape. Crazy. Lower Cape May beat EHT, which beat Ocean City last week, which beat Mainland today. That's pretty crazy too, in a way. Mainland, LCM and Oakcrest are all average or better teams, but it looks like the CAL American II is down to OC and Hammonton for now. Whoever comes out of there could have a few division losses, though.

I didn't cover a game today because I'm taking a couple of days to work on the final chapter of a staff-wide book on South Jersey Eagles fans, but I'll be back out there on Thursday for CC-Wilson. See you in on Federal Street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home