UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Heights 43, Sterling 32

This game was a bit closer than the score indicates, but Heights certainly played better tonight. As coach Kenny Hamburger said, it was an extremely hard-fought victory, and considering the fact that Collingswood fell to Paulsboro this afternoon, it was a very important one. Now Haddonfield is the only undefeated Colonial team left, as hard as that is to fathom just one week into the season.

I had a good time despite the presence of an obnoxious Heights fan/parent right in my ear, but those people exist in all gyms. It was just my bad luck to be sitting where I was. The only other annoying thing was the JV game, which t-o-o-k f-o-r-e-v-e-r. The varsity game was scheduled for 7 p.m., but the fourth quarter of the JV game didn't begin until 6:53. Both teams reached the double bonus in the second half, and the refs were nonchalant on stoppages in play; the players were almost always at the spot, ready to inbound the ball, three or four seconds before the ref got there. Also, I counted eight jump balls in the fourth quarter alone. Consequently, the varsity game did not tip off until 7:32, and I was worried about pushing my deadline. Needless to say, I was thrilled to see MBK -- one of very, very best officials in the area -- walk into the gym.

Unfortunately for Sterling, the Knights were cold again. Heights was allowing everyone but Brennan and Bryant some open looks, and the role players just could not bury them. Marie Belonia had a particularly tough night. If she had been able to hit one or two of those open threes, the affect on the game would have been even bigger than the points because maybe it keeps the Heights D honest. As it was, Kennedy and Carter did a great job on Brennan and Bryant in part because they got plenty of help from defenders who had no qualms about leaving their marks wide open 15 feet from the hoop.

Sterling will see better nights, of course. Shooting is the magical, mysterious part of the game that lets fate come creeping in. Most of the seriously miraculous upsets in the sport's history have something to do with one team shooting incredibly or another team shooting dismally. All you can do is live cleanly and hope the gods favor you.

On the other side, Sterling was doing a decent job defensively itself. Heights didn't shoot the lights out, but the Garnets did get some really clutch buckets, especially from Kennedy. Her three at the end of the first quarter pushed a 4-point lead to seven, her three in the third quarter, when Heights really won the game, was from like 28 feet or something. And her cold-blooded basket from the lane at the third-quarter buzzer was a real blow to the Knights, making it 32-23. It's weird, but when I think of a seven-point lead, I think "just a little more than five," but when I see a nine-point lead, my thought is, "almost 10." It's only really a two-point difference, but it sort of feels like five.

Before I move on, I need to thank coach Jeff Eppright and the Heights boys' soccer team for the gift. A boy who I assume was a little Eppright gave it to me as I began my conversation with Sterling coach Kate McDonald, and I didn't have time to properly acknowledge it. Thank god there was a note, or I might never have figured it out.

When I got back to the office, I found a few upsets waiting for me. As a Collingswood resident, the aforementioned Colls-Paulsboro result hurts my heart a little bit, but that's really a big one for a Red Raiders program that could end up surprising a lot of people. That situation is even more important because of the lack of a heavy favorite in South Jersey Group 1. In any case, I heartily congratulate Paulsboro and look forward to seeing them play in person.

The other upsets were less surprising. Eastern beat RV, which was again without an injured Chelsea Cole. This wasn't so much a shock since the Vikings got everyone's attention, laying the smack down on CH West opening night. Florence beat Riverside, indicating that a new era may be about to begin in the Burlco Freedom. We'll call it the Jasmyra Saunders Era for now, since the Trenton Catholic junior had 32 tonight in a win over Maple Shade. Also, Cumberland bounced back from the other night to hand Kingsway it's first loss. That leaves Williamstown, I believe, as the last unbeaten Trico Royal squad.

So seven full days into the season, and the vast majority of the Preseason Top 20 has been beaten. Not a surprise at all. In fact, I'm OK with the way it's turned out. There will be plenty of movement in the Jan. 2 rankings, including lots of shifts based on upsets that have not even happened yet. I'd have been disappointed if it were otherwise.

The opening campaign of the season, covering six games in seven days, is at an end, and I probably won't be back out there until Dec. 27. I will have a Monday column to submit, so some lucky coaches or players out there will be getting a call. I haven't decided who yet. I'll also try to post here a couple of times over the weekend with some interstitial ramblings. Even without game scores, where are always fires to start and dead horses to beat. So check back if you're so inclined.

All that's left is to wish you all the happiest and healthiest of holiday weekends. I hope you all get exactly what you want, whether or not you deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home