UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Gami 56, AC 51

Wow. Two good games in a row. I'm probably going to have to do three or four blowouts' worth of pennance for these indulgences.

Having never covered a game at Absegami before, I was impressed at the size of the gym. I wonder what it would be like with all the bleachers pulled out and full, or if it ever gets like that. Maybe for wrestling meets. It has some kind of old school, shadowy quality that I can't put my finger on but that I enjoyed. It reminded me of the gyms I'd watch older relative play in when I was little, or maybe just the size of it made me remember being small. I'm sure there are bigger gyms out there -- Cherry Hill East, Timber Creek and Holy Spirit spring to mind as possibilities -- but they're all so well-lit that some of the effect seems lost.

Anyway, this is the second game in a row where I saw Gami struggle to get it rolling offensively. The last time was against CB East at the Boardwalk Classic, and that team was definitely trying to slow the Braves down. Today, I wouldn't say AC was looking for a half-court game at all, but Gami just couldn't figure out how to effectively attack the Vikings' zone. It might have helped if early three-footers had gone down, but once that confidence was lost in the post, Gami's height advantage -- which was huge -- seemed to matter less and less.

Tasha Cannon is, of course, awesome, even though she didn't set the world on fire stat-wise today. She was the best player on the floor, clearly, and a real factor on the boards despite giving up as many as 10 inches in height. She's obviously a Player of the Year candidate, though it's way early to be talking about that. I made the mistake during the boys' soccer season of laying out the POY discussion after about a month, just to make things interesting, and I paid for it for like three weeks. So I'll talk about it in another month or so.

I was impressed with te AC supporting cast in the second half, especially Aliyah Montague and Ashley Ingram. If the Vikes had shot the ball in the first half like they did in the second, it might have been Gami playing catchup the whole game. But that's always easy to say.

There weren't too many upsets waiting for me when I got back to the office. EHT beat Hammonton, but EHT is a team I can't figure out. Lose to OC, then beat OC. Beat Wildwood Catholic by 30 but lose to Lower Cape May by 12. This last bit of info is just the latest in the roller coaster. I'm tempted to throw them in the rankings at No. 20 and see what happens, but there are probably more consistent teams out there. OC will probably go in, however, especially since they play AC on Monday. That should be nice.

That's it for now. I'm spending the afternoon in the office tomorrow, catching up on some stuff. I'll try to check in during.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home