UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Eastern, Winslow and Wednesday

First, some important news.

This blog has gotten the call. This means one of two things. Either it's about to be co-opted by Big Brother, subdued and homogonized, or (and I hope this is true) it's about to add a new, more complex shade to the C-P spectrum. In any case, the editors-that-be have requested that I start posting at a new site underneath the paper's umbrella.

The address: www.courierpostonline.com/blogs/mccann.html

I will continue to post here for a while, or at least copy and paste the posts at both sites so that no one will be left behind. Hopefully, the trasition will go smoothly. Eventually this blog -- and theoretically the Unofficial C-P Boys Soccer site as well -- will go dormant, and everything will appear at the new site. If things get too corporate over there, of course, I'll just switch back, but I'm willing to hope that it won't come to that.

In other news, many people I've talked to in person have mentioned difficulty placing comments on the site. I think I've figured this out, and one no longer has to be a blogger member to post a comment. Anonymous comments are now possible. Though I'd certainly prefer folks sign their names to their thoughts, I can certainly understand not wanting to go through the hassle of setting up a username and remembering a password. Hopefully, this improvement will work (just in time to be made obselete by the move to the new site).

In actual hoops news, I went to cover the Eastern-Winslow game yesterday. Though I don't have the energy to write a whole diatribe about this matchup, I will say that I expect both of these programs to improve by at least four or five wins next year.

Eastern looked good once the Vikings started hitting shots, and I really like Marissa DiMarco's intensity. All those girls know how to win. They just have to translate it to the basketball court. Winslow was raw, but there is some definitely talent there. I enjoyed my talk with Coach Gyurics after tha game, as she's one of the area's true straight-shooters, and look forward to their return to the upper echelon of the area.

She did bring up one very good point in saying that the Olympic stands to look a lot different a year from now. Graduations are going to blunt the conference's peaks and raise the valleys. The Cherry Hill Easts and Timber Creeks will miss their stars, while teams like Eastern bring everybody back. Off the top of my head, I'd say the Vikings, Cherokee, Washington Township, CC, Wilson, BE and Paul VI will almost certainly appear in next year's Preseason T20, with East, Pennsauken, and Shawnee perhaps showing up too.

I'll be at Haddon Township to see the Hawks play Heights tomorrow night. The Garnets are clinging to that half-game lead in the Colonial. No matter what they do, as long as Collingswood can beat Sterling on Saturday, that Heights-at-Colls game next Thursday will be for some or all of the league championship. If Haddonfield wins out in Colonial play, we could have a three-way tie at the top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home