UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

New C-P T20

With the exception of the last two places, this edition of the rankings was by far the simplest version of the exercise yet, at least in this sport (back when I was covering tennis and swimming, there would be entire weeks without a single change). So:

1. CCath
2. Gami
3. Wilson
4. Spirit
5. Boro
6. ACity
7. RV
8. CH East
9. OCity
10. Eustace
11. PVI
12. Wash. Twp.
13. Cumberland
14. Cherokee
15. SHeart
16. Mainland
17. EHT
18. Haddonfield
19. Collingswood
20. Pleasantville

Almost: Heights, Williamstown, Glassboro, Cinnaminson, Moorestown, Timber Creek, Pleasantville, Wildwood, WW Cath., Highland, Salem, Gloucester, Sterling.

I think 10 is the most "almost" teams I've ever had, but I can honestly say I tried on every single one of those squads in the last two places, and the two that ended up there felt the best.

What the heck happened to Williamstown? is my question after seeing the scores of the last two days roll in. They get upset by a Pitman team that started hot but has cooled off considerably in the last few weeks, and then they lose decisively to EHT. Both of those teams are solid, with solid records, so the Braves didn't fall far below the surface, but combined with Glassboro's getting thumped at Wildwood, it was not a banner week for the Trico, and as a result, Cumberland is carrying that league's flag alone right now.

Now I know that some folks are wondering why Heights isn't there, and somebody even called the office to talk about it, so I'll explain it one more time. Heights and Haddonfield split. Yes, the Heights win was more recent, but just like the Dawgs, the Garnets took their home game, which says to me that the two teams are even. The thing that separates them is the fact that Haddonfield has stepped outside the conference and beaten good teams, namely No. 8 Cherry Hill East and No. 15 Sacred Heart. Heights' only T20 win was Haddonfield, and the Garnets also lost to that same Dawg team as welll as No. 16 Mainland and new No. 19 Collingswood. Importantly, the Colls loss was AT HOME, and has yet to be avenged. I can understand the argument that Heights people are making because it's very easy to get fixated on Haddonfield and the most recent game. But take a step back and look at all the available information and the decision isn't even all that difficult.

Over the past few weeks, I've gome to appreciated how truly blessed the girls' game in this area had been to have courageous elite teams, all of which play each other during the regular season like the members of some mythical division. Wilson, for instance, is now 3-3 against teams in the SJ Top 6 and 7-3 against the Top 11, not to mention the out-of-area studs they play. The biggest treat left, of course, in next Saturday's CC-Gami showdown at Mainland. I've often thought it would be really cool to have a SJ Coaches' Tournament for hoops, like they do in soccer, but the top girls teams take care of things on their own pretty well.

1 Comments:

• At 11:06 PM, Blogger SMc. said…

Those whoe would like to comment should do so here or email me. Otherwise, don't expect a response.

Thanks

Post a Comment

<< Home