UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

AC 51, Trenton Central 41

Tasha Cannon is quite awesome. The rest of that team is beginning to rise to the occasion.

Talking to Greg Goodwin and Karl Geisinger during the game, nobody really wants to see AC in the Group 4 playoffs and it's all about Tasha. Goodwin said Gami has played her 10 times and won every one, but and he's terrified of 11 and I don't blame him at all. Trenton, a pretty athletic team, had no answer for Cannon. The Player of the Year discussion is one for another day, but she's in it without a doubt. Of course, a lot depends on what AC does in the upcoming playoffs.

This was a good, good win for AC, maybe its best of the year. And the supporting cast hit some big shots in the second half, none bigger than Monique Garcia's three at the end of the third quarter. Usually Montague is a clear second-best player for AC, but this time the entire team stepped forward.

To be honest, I went down there to see Absegam play Camden Catholic, and thank god I went as early as I did. When I arrived, Karl had just been informed that the irish weren't coming. Apparently, it was Monsignor Martin's call, and I can't say it was the wrong one. Certainly I was disappointed, as was Gami, Catholic, the event organizers, the fans that were in the gym yesterday and those who found out in time not to come. But Monsignor Martin has a different set of objectives and it's hard to say a decision in the interest of the kids' safety. I had my doubts, but driving home at around 8 p.m. -- about an hour before CC's prospective return trip -- it started getting slick out there. I do feel bad for Karl and his people at Mainland, who lost thousands of dollars on Saturday, and probably more today. They work very hard and put on a first-class event every year. I hope they've exhausted their bad luck for another 10 years.

I went to the second part of that funeral way early in the morning yesterday, and actually less than 30 minutes of sleep. So I was falling asleep at the wheel on the way down, until stopping off for a caffeine IV at the old Farley Rest Stop on the expressway, and it left me a little jittery and talkative, not quite myself. Then I was sure that Ac was actually playing Trenton Catholic, not Trenton Central, and when somebody asked be about Central I told them what I knew about Catholic, going on and on about what a talent Jasmyra Saunders was. When I saw it said Central in the program, and Saunders wasn't listed, I kept insisting that the program was wrong. I was in a strange mood. Of course, I was wrong, as was the schedule we had in the paper, which led me astray in the first place. I have no idea how it happened.

Anyway, I caught the very end of the Lenape-Sacred Heart game, and wondered why Lynn Brennan wasn't there. I asked a bunch of people during the game, and all of them were wondering but nobody knew. I intended to get to the bottom of it but I got distracted and missed the Indians and their folks before they left.

Another tidbit that a bounch of people were buzzing about was Holy Spirit's loss of Teena Marsh, who has apparently suffered, or aggravated, a knee injury. She won't be back this season, apparently, which is a tough break for the Spartans. It also puts the spotlight back on freshmen Jessie Frazier, one of the very best I've seen in the Class of '09. I'm assuming she'll be back in the starting lineup now.

Well, that's pretty much all I remember right now. I'm going to try to post tomorrow on some of the topics I mentioned at the end a couple of days ago: the brackets, the bill in the state legislature, etc. We'll see if I get around to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home