UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The week ahead

The cutoff day has passed, and the annual endgame begins. Teams that scraped their way into the playoffs are breathing a sigh of relief and waiting with excitement for the brackets to come out (probably Thursday). Squads that missed the playoffs will just play out the string, while coaches look hard for opportunties to reward seniors and prepare the kids who will be back next year. The teams with championship hopes are looking for chemistry and seasoning, and there are even a few division titles out there to be won.

I'll be at Haddonfield-Collingswood Tuesday night, and as I mentioned in some other recent post, this game will have serious Colonial implications. If you're Haddon Heights, I'm guessing you're rooting for Haddonfield because this is one of the leagues that does not break ties. Collingswood is the only team that currently owns the hypothetical, mythical, what-if tiebreaker of head-to-head. I personally wish every league broke ties, but currently only the Olympic Conference and the Cape-Atlantic League do so.

In any case, the Colonial potentially has about two or three more twists before we'll be able to figure things out for sure, and any one of those teams would certainly cede the league if it meant victory in South Jersey Group 2.

On Thursday I'll be at Pennsauken-Cherry Hill East. The Olympic American is already decided in East's favor, but I feel like I've been neglecting the Cougars, who just keep on winning like it's going out of style. One of the least talked-about heroics of the season have probably been those of the CHE backcourt. Abiona gets a lot of credit, and Ivy certainly is gifted and able, but Tejada lights it up in practically every big game and gets considerably less credit. I'm hoping those East guards have a good day so we can maybe fix that. And if Pennsauken comes up with the upset, then we can talk about Elise Graham and the girls as a potential spoilerin SJ Group 4.

On Friday, I'll be at RV for the Willingboro game. I saw the first installment of this season series back on opening night when Crews was awesome and Cole was not herself. Now it's Crews that may be hurt -- I have not heard about the status of her ankle -- and the Red Devils have been rolling ever since a lackluster loss to Trenton Catholic back at the Cougar Classic. I don't know what the Trenton Central folks will be doing that night, but I've seen them at a bunch of games so far this year and I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the gym for this one, since RV is a certain contender in Central Jersey Group 4.

The next day I'll be down at Mainland, of course, covering The Big Game. I love that event, so I'll probably go and watch most of the games just for the hell of it, and fill up the notebook for the next week. So if anybody's inclined to come over and yell at me about the rankings or anything else, feel free to do it. That is until 7 p.m., because Gami-Catholic is going to be a tough fit, deadline-wise. In fact, I think I'm going to have to scrounge up a phone line so I can send my story right from the gym. With an early deadline Saturday night, there may not even have time to get to a Starbucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home