UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Cinnaminson 48, Holy Cross 26

I don't have too much to say about this game. I was happy to see Cinnaminson play well, since the only other time I saw the Pirates they obviously didn't have the A game working. The defense they threw at Holy Cross tonight was impressive, especially since the Lancers do a pretty decent job setting high screens for their shooters. Once Cinnaminson kind of gave up on fighting through them and decided to concentrate on switching, HC had a lot more trouble.

I was glad that HC coach Fred Phillips came out to talk after the game. Those of you who have been reading for a long time might remember the misunderstanding when he didn't appear after the Eustace game, and he later told me that it would be fine to go back there looking for him. But I'm grateful it didn't come to that. As an outsider, something about the sanctity of a locker room makes me not want to break it even if the players have all gone.

The Burlco Patriot, like just about every other SJ division, is very close to resolution. All the Pirates have to do is beat Delran at home on Tuesday, and that's a wrap. Next week will also see Willingboro-RV and West Tech-Trenton Catholic games that will decide division races once and for all. AC and Gami will play for the CAL American I title tomorrow, American II is done, National I is down to Spirit-Pleasantville sometime soon, and Sacred Heart is just a win or two away in National II. I haven't figured out what Williamstown has to do, exactly, to take care of the Trico Royal, but beating Cumberland for a second time is just about it. Glassboro is pretty close to clinching in the Classic. All three divisions are done in the Olympic, with East and Timber Creek repeating and CC getting over the hump in the National.

That just leaves the Colonial, which continues to be a mess. When I scheduled myself to cover Haddon Township-Sterling tomorrow, I figured that game would have some sort of title implications, but after both those teams lost on Tuesday, it looks more like a very good fourth-place game. Next Tuesday's Haddonfield game at Collingswood will decide a lot. If the Haddons win, then they'll have the leg up with tough games against Sterling and Haddon Township left. If Collingswood wins, then it's a three-team race hinging on a Panthers home game against the only two-loss team left, Heights. If that seems complicated, you haven't been paying attention because it's actually a vast oversimplification. Mathematically, I'm pretty sure Haddon Township and Sterling both continue to have a chance.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's HTWp-Sterling game, because that matchup -- especially at Sterling's gym -- always seems to deliver a thriller. I know it went to overtime with the Hawks prevailing the first time, so I'm hoping for more of the same. I haven't seen Township play yet, and I haven't seen Sterling since covering them twice in the first week, so that will make it even more fun. I expect the Knights to be much improved, so long as Kate Brennan is in the lineup and healthy. From looking at the scores, it seems like her absence allowed Cassi Bryant to find her game a little bit, and it's they're able to play well on the same court at the same moment, that team could be an extremely formidable opponent in SJ Group 2.

The subplot of every game tomorrow, of course, is the cutoff, and the playoff picture that appears in the Varsity section will be subject to a ton on jostling. Tonight, for instance, Pitman might have secured the top seed in SJ Group 1 with a stunning upset of Williamstown, while the Braves almost certainly fell a spot or more in SJ Group 4. Buena played its way in today, while Moorestown Friends missed a chance to do the same. In short, there are very few inconsequential games this weekend. Those who have the time should really get out to see a game or two, if at all possible, because the intensity around this day can almost approach playoff proportions.

I'm happy to say that I'll be covering a second game: Willingboro-Wilson tomorrow evening at Rancocas Valley. The Boro will be trying to avoid losing two straight and Wilson will be trying to avoid losing three of its last four. I have no idea what the potential seeding situation is for Boro in CJ Group 3, but for the Tigers, a win could help and a loss would almost definitely hurt. In any case, it will be an entertaining contest, and I'll see you there.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:19 AM, Blogger SMc. said…

    Thanks for your comment. I'd agree that Cinnaminson had the better game plan the other day, but they also had the greater talent on the floor. I thought the best two players on the floor were Catanzariti and Gannon, both Pirates. HC played hard, but as the coach said, the game plan they came in with didn't pan out. Good teams do that to you sometimes, and Cinnaminson is a good team. Best of luck to them on Tuesday, and I'm sure I'll get a chance to see them again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home