UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

The fun begins

I was flipping around the net, waiting to fall asleep just now, and I decided to check out the CP's Varsity forum, which has proved to be mildly amusing the few times I've been there. I don't know how many folks actually use it, but I do take pride in the fact that it's seen more action than any of the other CP forums, save perhaps "General Discussion."

Anyway, I saw just now that somebody (apparently a reader of this blog) has seen fit to rip me for not being at the CC-Bloomfield Tech game, asking how I could possibly miss it. Never mind the fact that a reader of this blog would have already seen my explanation, which I will not repeat. The real point is:

Who the hell do you think you are to suggest I'm not doing my job?

Yes it was a big game, yes it was bound to be exciting. So I made sure that the paper was there, respresented. I cannot be everywhere, and I particularly cannot be everywhere "you" want me to be. I cannot substitute anyone else's judgment for my own, and that includes every single player, coach, parent and fan out there. The only people who get to question that judgment and expect me to listen are my bosses, and so far as I know, they don't. I work way too hard to have to answer to anybody else.

As far as the coverage of the game goes, I think Mike Radano did a great job, and everybody had to be happy with the placement as the center package on the front page of the sports section. And in case anyone's counting, that THREE straight girls' basketball center packages, from Wilson-Spirit to CC-BT to Troiano's record-breaking win (at which I was the only reporter, inexplicably). I honestly don't think anybody can touch us on high school sports in this area anymore, so much that the competition is no longer fun. I try my best to take that coverage to another level despite the fact that I don't necessarily need to, but if folks think I/we aren't doing enough they're free to look elsewhere, and the best of luck with that.

And one more thing: in the future, those who would like to ask me a question can do so via email, or preferably, in the comments on this blog. An actual name attached would be a nice gesture as well. I'm not hiding, and I alone assume resposibility for the stuff I put on here. I chose to respond to this criticism in a place where everyone will know the words are mine, and since the outlet for comments is available to everyone, I do wish that more would use it. Speaking from the boys' soccer experience, the more comments there were, the better the content tended to be.

I'm aware that some folks respond to blog posts at the nj.com forum where I put up what I call "the alert," but to be honest, I only skim the stuff that's there. That whole scene is kind of nauseating, even more than I remember, and I'd rather just use it for what it's worth and leave the rest. On the contrary, I have often responded to blog comments in the past, either in the comment box itself or in later posts. It's always been an avenue for dialogue between a lot of voices, as opposed to the few that seem to rule at nj.com. I'll still post the alerts because it has proved to be a reliable way to bring people to this site, but don't count on me reading any responses there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home