UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Just FOUR area teams left alive...

... and two will put it on the line tomorrow.

I'm frankly shocked and saddened that Woodrow Wilson was unable to pull up out of the nose dive it began on Monday. Maybe it had something to do with Ossiera Monroe's injury, but something broke in the Tigers in the second half against OC, and it obviously didn't heal. There is almost no doubt in my mind that the Wilson teamthat beat Willingboro and Spirit would have found a way to take out Monmouth, and they surely would not have been beaten by 22 points.

Perhaps Wilson just peaked too early. Coach Dyer talked in the beginning of the season about how he didn't care so much how the team was playing in the first couple of games as long as they played great at the end, but it seems like the Tigers used up their best basketball in the middle.

I hope this doesn't cool SJ's coaches on loading the schedule up with tough games. It would be easy for folks to point at Wilson's swoon and say that it had something to do with the tough slate, that maybe the Tigers were worn down. But I really believe that the disappointing result occurred despite the tough schedule, not because of it.

In other shocking upset news, Chloe Dao won Project Runway, despite the fact the nobody -- including me -- thought she had a chance. I thought Santino's collection was the best, but they penalized him for being an ass all season. Daniel V. was the clear favorite for the overall win from halfway through the season, but he underwhelmed in the runway show and especially under examination by the judges. I felt sorry for him, but he'll be back and so will Santino.

So enough about PR. Back to basketball.

Congratulations to Salem for reaching a second consecutive state final. I haven't seen the box score, but I can imagine Brittany Smith had another big night. She's been money in the playoffs the last two seasons, one of the very best big-game performers the area has right now. Unfortunately for the Rams, they're going up against Bloomfield Tech and that hasn't been any fun for any Group 1 team in quite a while.

Farewell to my favorite out-of-area player I never saw play, the Hunterdon County Dairy Princess herself, South Hunderdon senior forward Breanna Fulper.

I'm not certain which game I'll be doing tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will be the late game, Gami-Trenton Central. it's my beat, so when there's a major deadline pressure to be faced, I'll take the heat. Obviously, I'll go and watch the Group 2 game. The Bulldogs (Haddonfield) faced the Bulldogs (Rumson) two years ago on their (Haddonfield's) way to the state championship. Rumson was highly-touted then as well, ranked in the state and hot as heck. If the Haddons are a slight underdog, Gami has got to be a slight favorite, especially since Trenton Central lost to AC, a team that the Braves beat twice.

As we've seen more than once in the last week or so, however, it's not about the team that played in January or February or even yesterday, it's about the team that gets off the bus on that particular night.

I'll see you at Southern Regional.

By the way, I'm not listening to anything this time. I'm half-watching some TV Land interview with Larry David. Hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home