UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, March 03, 2006

23 area teams left alive...

... with at least four more to fall tonight.
What I'm listening to: Bright Eyes... Bjork... Dar Williams... Liz Phair... Nina Nastasia... Paul Simon... Ben Folds... Fiona Apple... Mozart...

As I mentioned before, I'm going to Atlantic City-CH East. Tomorrow I'm probably going to the Holy Spirit game and then hitting a 7 p.m. game after that. And Sunday is a day of rest.

Today's schedule isn't quite as interesting to me as the previous round, on Wednesday, but the games will probably prove me wrong. It's the playoffs after all, and so everything is intrinsically exciting. The Group B games are the ones I'm most curious about, but Sacred Heart, BE and Wildwood Catholic are all on the road, so covering any of them was out of the question right off the bat. I'd really like to see some upsets there. If the Crusaders (Eustace and WWC) both win, they would meet right around the corner at BE in the semifinal Monday. And if that game were scheduled early enough (say 5 p.m. or before), I could even cover it, with time to get to the G3 final later on. Just throwing that out there.

A lot of eyes around the area have got to be on those two Group A quarterfinal games that were postponed from last night. Even more than the outcomes, I think Holy Spirit and Camden Catholic are hoping that whoever comes out of those games has a tough time. Not only do the Spartans and the Irish have home games, but now they also have an extra day of rest. It's all falling into place, I guess.

Switching gears, I've been sorting through the all-star info and trying to make decisions as the playoffs go along. It's kind of shame the way the timing works out, since I have to choose the teams before all the games are finished, but I'll be able to consider most of the sectional results.

We name a first team and a second team for all four public groups, and a first and second team for non-publics. Unlike many other organizations, we only put five players on each team. In fact, that's pretty much how we do it for most sports: the number of athletes that are allowed on the field at one time is the number of kids on each team. Notable exceptions are baseball and softball, where there are pitchers and utility players and such, as well as football, where we name 11 for offense and 11 for defense. We run photos of all the first-teamers in every group.

We also name a first and second team for All-South Jersey, but I've got a little more time on that because the time constraint is all about photos, and every first-team All-SJ player will necessarily be an all-group first teamer too. Right now, I've got a pool of about 15 players under serious all-SJ consideration, with maybe seven or eight still in the running for first-team status. There are only two first-team locks, and anyone who's been paying attention could probably name them with no difficulty whotsoever.

I think I've killed enough time here. I have to get home to let the dog out before heading over to East. See you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home