UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

CC/Wilson, Appendix A

Woodrow Wilson coach Al Dyer had some trouble adding his comment to last night's post, but he did email it to me, so I'll post it here:

"I personally think your choice of words "went after the officials" wasn't fair in your blog. You know what happened at Highland. I think people that was not in attendance may think that I charged after the officails, however I do appreciate the fact that you didn't place all of my quotes in the Courier-Post. We are defending T.O.C. Champs in SJ and the only ink we get in your paper is when we lose. There are numerous stories to write about WW however the only ink we receive is when we lose. The lack of respect WW receives baffles me and to say that it was the best girls basketball you ever seen scares me. I guess you were in a space capsule last season."

To be honest, the Highland situation from several years ago never once crossed my mind when I chose those wrods, and had I thought of it, I would have certainly chosen different ones. No, Coach Dyer never charged after the officials. When I wrote "went after," I meant via his comments. There was never a single moment when I thought Coach Dyer was even close to losing his physical composure yesterday afternoon.

On the second point, that we only write about Wilson when they lose: This team is in the relatively unfortunate position this season of playing a lot of very good teams with a lineup that is still finding itself. There's no way -- when Wilson plays Gami, Catholic twice, Spirit, and others of the like -- that we're going to go see the Tigers kill even a good team like BE or Paul VI. We want to see those top teams tested, and though Wilson has not been quite equal to teams like Gami and CC so far this year, they are still a very worthy standard by which good and even great teams rightly measure themselves.

On the third point, I might have gotten a little carried away with how good Camden Catholic looked yesterday, but in point of fact, not by much. I should probably have pointed out that I was mired in swimming and myriad other things last year, and never actually saw Wilson play. Not even once was I so lucky. Obviously, the Tigers of 04-05 deserve to be mentioned at or near the top of any all-time great list, as the only SJ squad to do what they did was Sterling '01. The Willingboro team in Crystal's junior year was the best squad I ever saw play myself. Poorly prepared for a real test in the end, but still the best squad. Catholic's display yesterday, I believe, was perhaps on par with Highland '04, for those of you who saw that team play. Of course, the Irish's trio of stars is not quite as bright as the three the Tartans had that year, but their balance from 1-7 or 8 is much greater. No one Catholic is likely to run out there is a weak link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home