UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sterling 38, Colls 28

This post will also appear on the official C-P site. Feel free to visit there as well. This blog will eventually be phased out in favor of the official one, but I'll let you all know when it stops being current.

So the Colonial drama is at an end, at least for the regular season.

Some of the Haddon Heights contingent was on hand at Collingswood, having already taken care of business against Gateway. I think a group of them walked into the gym about 50 feet behind me and waved to me, but it was one of those moments where you think, "Are they waving to me or to someone else?" And I'm afraid I might have come off badly there. To be honest, that happens to me a lot. I never think anyone is waving to me. Why would they be? I wish I were the kind of person who is always expecting to be recognized and waved to, but I'm afraid I never will be. In any case, I apologize for seeming stand-offish.

And congratulations to Heights for securing a piece of the conference title. I expect that the Garnets will earn it all on Tuesday, but stranger things have happened. Though it would be crazy for West Deptford to throw the Colonial back into play, I can't help hoping it doesn't. Unless I'm not counting right, two Heights losses (to WD and Colls) next week could leave four teams with four losses each. What kind of league championship would it be if they split it four ways. I can tell you it would be a happy day at the old championship jacket-selling store.

As far as thrills go, this afternoon was a little bit of a disappointment. Collingswood was flat all afternoon, and Sterling was certainly on its game better. The Knights didn't light up the scoreboard, but Cassi Bryant's defense on Lauren Gregg set a very serious tone. The game was over after three quarters.

I wish the best of luck to Sterling coach Kate McDonald, whose baby girl is due on Monday. My sister very recently had a baby. I'm sure her whole family is excited, and the SJ basketball family has something to gain here too. As she told me today, she may be giving birth to the future of her program. Who knows? Hopefully Saturday won't be the last I see of her this season, as her team has a chance to go deep into SJ Group 2. In fact, I'm not sure there's a team that's clearly playing better than Sterling right now, but Pleasantville-Glassboro-Haddonfield is a very tough road to the sectional final.

I have to cut this short if I stand any chance of catching Eustace-Vianney down at Ventnor, which is my plan. I have to get to work on a bunch of other things tomorrow as well, including a pre-playoff feature story on the best centers around. I really want to get a bunch of them together for a photo, but I'm not sure how possible that it. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home