UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Response to dtsfan

First of all, I don't remember screwing the chapter with the Heather Kile story, unless you're referring to the quotes by Trish Green. (For those who don't remember, a couple of years ago I wrote a story about former Holy Cross and Swarthmore star Heather Kile, who was a cadet referee at the time.) But I don't think you can tell that story without someone to voice the concerns that so many seems to have. I'm not interesting in putting out propaganda for anybody, even an organization which I believe in and admire, like WC5.

Second, you're wrong in saying the section of the story in today's paper about the sixth man t-shirts was a manifestation of my opinion. It read, "Haddonfield left feeling like the referees should have been wearing them." Given the quotes that appeared -- even disregarding all those that didn't appear -- isn't it clear that's the way Haddonfield felt?

Third, I don't think officiating is easy. In fact, I think it's extremely hard, especially in basketball. I've spoken with lots of referees and when they tell me it's hard, I not only believe them, I imagine it's harder than I could even understand. But to talk to them after a game -- to quote the refs -- would only throw gas on the fire in addition to singling out the officials involved. As I said in the previous post, I think it was a case of decent officials having an off night in a very big game. It was definitely a judgment call including the stuff in the story for the paper, but I think the fact that two experienced reporters saw the same things, heard the same things and essentially wrote the same thing ought to tell you something. As for this site, I'm entitled to do pretty much anything I want to here, though I don't believe I've acted irresponsibly anyway.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger SMc. said…

    It doesn't matter to me how many people "take" a certain part of any story if those people don't bother to read the words carefully. I had knee-jerk reactions to a couple of calls during the game, as most do, but I didn't spend the energy forming an opinion. By now, of course, several levels of editors have read the story and none of them have mentioned any injection of opinion, but then again it's their jobs to read carefully and without emotion.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't seen very many girls' high school games in the recent past but when I have and there are West Chapter 5 refs in the building I know I'm in for a laugh. And let's take high school out of the equation. The women's league that they ref in the summer is just as bad. "DTSFAN" I would love for you to say you're not biased against certain players and coaches. I've seen your work. Somebody is going to get seriously hurt on your watch.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home