UNOFFICIAL C-P Girls' Hoops

This is the unofficial home of the C-P's coverage of SJ high school girls' basketball. This blog will feature all the rumor, opinion, speculation and analysis that would never make it into print. Feel free to leave comments with the knowledge that you are helping drive the C-P's coverage of one of SJ's great communities.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Season Eve

The 2005-06 season tips off tomorrow for NJSIAA schools, and the sky is weeping with excitement. I sure hope the snow isn't so severe that it jeopardizes any games.

Check out the Junaid feature here:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051215/VARSITY/512150353/1020

On Saturday, there will be overviews of each division race, a preseason Top 20 with short profiles of each team, a chart of about 25 of the top returning individual players, and a feature story on Atlantic City's Tasha Cannon, in addition to Friday night game coverage. The non-live material is finished, and it could appear on the web as early as midday tomorrow.

After I finished yesterday's post, I realized there was an observation I forgot to include. I loved how CH West coach Bridget Garrity-Bantle roamed all over the court and along the baselines to make sure she saw the game and communicated with her players as well as possible. It was certainly a reminder that scrimmages are often more like practices than games, and it was also a look into the personal style and passion of a particular coach. I've seen Coach G-B on the soccer sidelines as well as coaching basketball, and I can't remember anyone more invested. Yesterday's scrimmage reminded me of the time, a year ago, when Coach G-B called me on an error in my judgment regarding a story on the seemingly annual flurry of transfers. She was 100 percent right in that instance, and I'd allowed a rough personal patch to make me complacent. Those transfer stories are tricky territory, and taking the easy way didn't turn out to be the right thing to do.

This season has its share of transfer intrigue: an interesting topic for another time perhaps. It's one of those confluences that happens less and less rarely in high school sports: the important issue that no one -- not the players, the parents, the new coach or the old coach -- really wants to talk about on the record.

Anyway, some time tonight I'll be posting the a sneak preview of the Preseason Top 20 on this site, along with some analysis. Check back later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home